By: Sahana Golla, Ultimate Spark! Coaching Junior Coach
“Gratitude turns what we have into enough.” -Aesop
There is so much in life to be grateful for. Many of you reading this have more than most do: health, wealth, love, happiness, beauty, and a career that brings you fulfillment. The benefits of being grateful are immense: Gratitude opens the door to more relationships, improves physical health, betters psychological health, enhances empathy and reduces aggression, strengthens self-esteem, and increases mental strength. So how can you be a little more grateful each day?
1. Appreciate everything. Do not be selective in your approach to positivity and thankfulness. See the upside in everything from your relationships to your work environment. Doing so ensures that you and the others around you will be more joyful and more fulfilled in your conquest for happiness.
2. Keep a journal. Scribing your thoughts, feelings, and emotions can not only help you gain clarity on what you appreciate most in life but can also boost your mood and help you identify what it is that you are truly passionate about and grateful for.
3. Volunteer. Giving back to the community is a great way to not only feel good about yourself but also to help others. Assisting the underprivileged is something to feel proud of. You are spreading kindness and joy and making the world a better place.
4. Spend time with loved ones. They say, “time is money”, but isn’t it so much more? The quality of your life depends on several factors, the first and foremost of which is spending time with the ones that you truly love and cherish. Doing so will help strengthen your relationship with them, and this, in turn, will help you find ways to better appreciate the people in your life.
5. Embrace challenges and turn them into opportunities to grow. The road through life is a bumpy one, but remember that the rest of the world is on their own life path too, full of curves and twists. Tough times present an opportunity to learn and grow as an individual and to gain insight into valuable life lessons. This knowledge will help you later on to not make the same mistakes and to change for the better.
6. Venture outdoors. Seek solace in nature. Nature is beautiful, and it is said that it speaks to the human soul and spirit. It can help you connect better with others. The creation of our world, for better or worse, birthed the very existence of humans and all species on our planet. That in itself is something to marvel at.
To recap you can build and practice greater gratitude by doing the following: appreciating everything, journaling, volunteering, spending time with loved ones, embracing challenges, and venturing outdoors. Life is beautiful. It is only when we take the time to contemplate this and the fact that we exist that we can truly understand and empathize with our planet Earth and Mother Nature.
~ Sahana Golla